Museum of Fine Arts

The millenary session of the Hungarian Parliament in 1896 passed a law, whereby art collections previously held in different institutions were to be unified and placed in the newly-established Museum of Fine Arts. On the basis of a competitive tender, Albert Schickedanz and Fülöp Herzog were commissioned to design and construct the building, which opened in 1906. On the ground floor are the exhibitions of the Classical Antiquities and of 19th century paintings and sculptures; the Renaissance hall, where in addition to Renaissance frescoes and fountains items from the Sculpture Collection may be seen: the Prints and Drawings Gallery with temporary exhibitions, and the Marble and Baroque halls.
Due to the continuous renovation work on the building, individual permanent exhibitions of the Old Masters’ Gallery may temporarily be moved.